Subject: Re: BUFFERCACHE, PR 1903
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@mindbender.serv.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1996 23:55:51
> I applied PR 1903, the one that lets you set the BUFFERCACHE percent
> setting as a define in the kernel config file.  Why hasn't this been
> integrated?  (Lack of time/attention, I would guess.)

Probably lack of time/attention.

quick comments on the patch (i just looked at it again):

	(1) s/BUFCACHE/BUFCACHEPCT/ or something, and same with
	    'bufcache'.  "so, i set options BUFCACHE=20.  That means
	    that I get 20 buffer caches, right?"

	(2) the diffs need to be cleaned up, e.g. spacing, KNF, and
	    all that.

	(3) if it's going to be done to one port, it _needs_ to be done
	    to all of them.

	(4) it's annoying to no longer be able to have the "N percent
	    of the first M megs, P percent of the rest" function,
	    to better support small-memory systems.

	(5) if the user specifies an out-of-range value:
		(a) it should not be silently adjusted, in my opinion
		    (i.e. issue a #warning), and
		(b) (in my opinion) if you are going to adjust it, i'd
		    say it should be clamped, not reset,  i.e. if < 5
		    then it's 5, and if > 95 then it's 95...  of
		    course, if you're issuing a warning, this isn't
		    nearly as important, and may just be a waste of
		    code.

cgd