Subject: Re: hardware check in /etc/rc.local?
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1996 15:45:13
On 12 Sep 1996, Christoph Badura wrote:

> Andrew Gillham writes:
> >I'm not sure what percentage of the NetBSD population uses it.
>
> It's probably a small percentage because it's not mounted by default
> after a fresh install.  At least on i386 this would be save as the
> installed kernel must support kernfs because it's used during the
> installation.

Hmm. The default mac68k setup mounts it, though that might be more due to
how our installer makes a default /etc/fstab.

Though shouldn't the question be what percentage has it? I bet a lot of
people (most mac68k folks for starters?) mount it, but don't use it.

Sounds like the classic chicken-and-egg problem. No one uses it, so no one
has it. No one has it, so no one uses it. :-( Maybe tools should just
start using it if it's there, and doing things better if it's there. :-)

Take care,

Bill