Subject: Re: Question regarding source tree
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.wa.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1996 08:18:16
"Gerald C. Simmons" <simmons@darykon.wa.com>  wrote:
 > the source tree. I'm just curious. I thought that all the architecture
 > dependent code live under sys/arch/(xxx). What is the reason behind having
 > some of this code under sys/dev?

If you look at /sys/dev, you'll note that stuff in there is stuff that is
available on other architectures of machine. For example, you may think
that only PC's have an ISA bus but my HP300 has 4 EISA slots, my Apollo's
have ISA slots, my Mips r3k box has ISA slots, you can get ISA busses for
Alpha's, Amiga's, etc... There are N architectures of machine that have
PCI busses...

The theory is that those drivers are written in an architecture independant
fashion and each port just has to implement the correct glue to interface
with the bus and suddenly a whole load of drivers should "just work".

One day I hope there'll be a /sys/dev/vme.