Subject: Re: Another take on lkms and dynamic loading...
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- MindBender.serv.net <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1996 20:03:34
>> 	I havn't seen anyone suggest yet that many of these systems
>> and modules could be moved into user space.... reducing the security
>> hole while retaining the functionality.

>How would this affect performance for our current modules? I know
>that Windows NT benchmarks noticably slower than NetBSD on various
>programs (such as web servers) because of the greater number of
>protection mode switches due to having large chunks of the kernel
>running as user processes.

To add further fuel to the fire...

NT 4.0 moved the GDI (Graphics Display Interface, or something like
that -- basically the graphics subsystem) into the kernel for exactly
this reason.  Apparently, it was just too slow being out in user-land.
NT versions prior to 4.0 had GDI as a user-space server subsystem.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net