Subject: Re: Anyone working on NTFS support?
To: None <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1996 19:45:22
Ah, first of all I misunderstood your statement. I read it as referring to the
way long filenames are stored in FAT filesystems. Nevertheless, I wasn't aware
that the generation of the short name is different in NT vs. Win95. Thanks for
the hint (albeit I'm not sure whether I want/will do something similar for our
msdosfs).

>     Long 		Windows 95	Windows NT
>   Filename		Short Filename	Short Filename
> Maps of Africa.vss	mapsof~1.vss	mapsof~1.vss
> Maps of Europe.vss	mapsof~2.vss	mapsof~2.vss
> Maps of England.vss	mapsof~3.vss	macebf~1.vss

While I couldn't reproduce this with the example given, when I created a few
more files which would result in the incrementation of the number in Win95,
I did indeed find some random letters in the short name. This was with NT4.0
on a PPC machine.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800