Subject: Re: Release of 1.2?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1996 00:19:36
> On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Chris G Demetriou wrote:
>
> > > Do we currently support "fsck_msdos"?
> >
> > No, but since we have an msdos file system, and that's a "real"
> > file system complete with bits on a disk someplace, we should.
>
> Hm, I thought we did have fsck_msdos. I've got one, at least... tried
> running it, and it did stuff :) Don't have a messed up msdos partition to
> try it on though, so I don't know if it'd actually detect any errors :)

That's what i get for writing mail to quickly.  This mail is
too-quickly written, as well.  8-(

Anyway, since i'm the one who proposed and implemented the
fsck->fsck_ffs move, i'll explain the rationale behind it:

There should be per-file system check programs, all invoked as
appropriate by a master 'fsck' program which has no knowledge of
the file system formats, but which can tell what file system
is what format (e.g. via partition tables or /etc/fstab), and knows
how to invoke the various check programs as specified by its command
line arguments.

So, in order to make this happen:

	(1) a long time ago, i submitted a bunch of PRs which
	    stated that fsck_foo where "foo" is the set of file
	    systems we support, minus ffs, was missing.

	(2) i moved fsck to fsck_ffs, keeping a link in place for
	    compatibility.

	(3) some time after this release is done (when I or someone
	    else has time to write that driver program 8-), that
	    link will be broken and an fsck driver program, as
	    mentioned above, will be put in its place.

cgd