Subject: Re: misc/2668: login-names >8 chars make no fun
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1996 18:19:16
On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:49:44 -0400
 Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> > Nope. I've done it  right :)
>
> Uh, what does that mean?
>
> Either you change the binary format of utmp and wtmp, or you don't.
>
> If you don't, you aren't recording all of the login name.
> If you do, you break binary compatibility.

Yes. The latter. I have changed the format. All the tools that
use it look at a define for the length of the username. If I find time
I'll send-pr the patches I made.

> I could see either of those being defined as "mucking utmp/wtmp up,"
> and you have to do one...  8-)

True. I meant that I've modified all the tools that use wtmp for this.

IMO we should up the limit to 16 and be done with it. This is a reasonable
value.

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
neil@DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)