Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1996 11:07:20
> IMHO, as NetBSD and the other *BSD's stand right now, a secure system
> is something to wish for but not even close yet.

It's actually not that far off, IMO, if you make the pack with the
bootblocks, kernel, and system executables physically read-only (as in,
a jumper or a physical switch or some such that cannot be affected by
software).  It requires very little tweaking to run this way under
NetBSD.  (I once tried, though it was for sharing root partitions among
disklesses rather than for security.  I also tried it with SunOS 4.1.x;
NetBSD makes it a hell of a lot easier than SunOS does, lemme tell ya.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D