Subject: Re: isprint()
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1996 01:38:00
Scott Reynolds writes:
>On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> On the other hand, we might want locale support in the kernel, in case
>> we ever end up supporting EBCDIC.

>Is it me, or is this just plain silly? (1/2 :-)

Having locale support in the kernel strikes me as silly.

However, being able to map between different character set encodings
upon in- and output would be useful.  That way you can have to
userland use a single encoding and have that remapped to the different
encodings of the devices as needed.

This is what Xenix' mapchan system does and which was picked up by
SVR3.2 and SVR4, if I remember correctly.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.