Subject: Re: An annoying failure I've seen a lot of.
To: None <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1996 14:06:49
   <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com> sez:
   #
   #    Whenever I try to run an ELF or COFF binary, I get the following error:
   #
   #    ./linux.x86: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
   #

   Brad Spencer sez:
   #
   # Hello...  exec_elf.c thinks that it is a SVR4 Elf binary.  Either
   # remove COMPAT_SVR4 from your kernel or rearrange the order of the Elf
   # test.

   This makes no sense at all.  If it thinks it's an SVR4 ELF binary,
   why the hell is it handing it over to /bin/sh, then?

   I'd expect a ENOSYS or SIGILL+core to happen before then.

				   --*greywolf;

I really don't have an answer to that, except that it does happen
[been there and seen it].  A ktrace would probably help out here....

[I suspect that /bin/sh is a side effect of not having the SVR4 ld.so
available, but I am guessing.....]

Of course, this could just look like the problems I saw...

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org