Subject: Re: isprint()
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/1996 17:46:52
Thank you, Terry, for describing why UNICODE is 32bit.

My point is

1. 16bit is not sufficient for sizeof(wchar_t), at least 32bit is
  needed, because some character-sets (including UNICODE) is 32bit.

2. Supporting UNICODE is OK. But supporting *only* UNICODE is not OK,
  because it lacks compatibility with existing systems. (Many people
  want to use plain ISO-8859-1, plain ISO-8859-2, Japanese EUC, Korean
  EUC, ...)
  UNICODE should be supported as one of the locales in general I18N
  framework. (like X11R6) Modern UNIX systems is apparently going this
  way.

	"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> said:

> Again, if we supported UNICODE, we might no longer care about
> supporting multiple character sets since we would have virtually every
> character anyone would ever want.

When will it come ?
It takes very long time, if we choose the way to cooperate with
existing systems, because many American/European people want to
continue to use plain ASCII or plain ISO-8859-1 (and many Asian people
want to use current their encodings).

> (Fonts in X become a problem, of course...)

Yes, if we support *ONLY* UNICODE.
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group