Subject: Re: new lkm stuff ?
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@interpath.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1996 23:31:02
At 08:29 AM 8/23/96 +0100, Peter Galbavy wrote:
>With the addition of the lkm'able version of various drivers (mainly fs)
>any ideas what should happen with them at runtime ?
>
>My suggestion would be (especially with the fs's) that the mount_???
>programs be the ones to say "hang on - not there - I'll just try to load it"

Mmmmmmmm. Perhaps.

I thought that at securelevel > 0 you couldn't load any lkm's.

How about a stock rc file that loads the lkm's at boot? rc.lkm perhaps?
Or /etc/lkms with a list of lkm's to be loaded by rc or rc.local? This
would be for the tighter-security-minded people.

The idea of Linux loading/unloading kernel modules on the fly in a running
system bothers me, and strikes me as a hell of a security hole if an
intruder gains the ability to write to the root filesystem. Let's not go
that route, please.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@interpath.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu