Subject: Re: managing NetBSD src (overview)
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1996 18:31:56
On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, VaX#n8 wrote:

> I'm interested in how people are integrating NetBSD source and local
> mods, patches, and replacements.
>
> I am brainstorming here and would welcome any suggestions.

I use the union file system.  I'm kept up to date with CTM (for which
my undying thanks to Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>), and thus keep
an unmodified copy of current in my CTM tree.  This is null mounted on
/usr/src (to keep the original openly available), and I then union
mounted another, empty directory on top of /usr/src and traversed the
/usr/src tree with find to fill out the top level and white-out the
CVS directories.  I then simply modify stuff under /usr/src as I like.
My modifications never interfere with the CTM updates, and I have
scripts run by cron to generate complete diffs every night, and to
check for CTM updates that change something I've already modified.

Somewhat crude compared to maintaining a complete CVS tree -- but uses
much less disk space, and is really quite easy to keep track of.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO