Subject: Re: misc/2668: login-names >8 chars make no fun
To: None <CURRENT-USERS@NetBSD.ORG>
From: H. J|ngst, ISKP, Bonn <juengst@saph1.physik.uni-bonn.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1996 21:04:19
tih@hamartun.priv.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
> [cgd]
>
> > If i recall, BSDI defaults to allowing 16 character login names.  Is
> > there any reason we need to, by default, allow more?
>
> [H. J|ngst]
>
> > What's about 3 characters? Should be enough. Everybody knows "007",
> > "cgd", "you" and "me". 8-)

Hey, even for your login-name three letters are enough. Allow more? :-)

> Actually, I think we should have a damned good reason to before we
> change the login name length.  8 characters (or 7, the _practical_
> limit) is more than enough.  Login names should be quick and easy to
> type, and (at least in environments with many users) they should
> preferably _not_ specify the real name of the user.  Mostly, people
> want long login names to be able to have stuff like "Peter_Jones" be
> someone's login.  What happens when the _next_ Peter Jones joins the
> company?  The practical solution, IMHO, is to let login names be

Peter Jones, Jr.

[...] text deleted

> Hmm.  This turned into quite a sermon.  Anyway, that's how I feel, and

[...] much more deleted, I do not need any sermon.

Why limit the size of names? Just because there is 20 year old corrosive
code in the sources?

Let the users decide if they want short or written in full login-names.

> -tih
> --
> Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
> tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO