Subject: Re: misc/2668: login-names >8 chars make no fun
To: None <CHRIS_G_DEMETRIOU@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu, CURRENT-USERS@NetBSD.ORG>
From: H. J|ngst, ISKP, Bonn <juengst@saph1.physik.uni-bonn.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1996 15:32:45

> > > given the nature of some of the files involved, using fixed length
> > > records may be a hack, but it's a hack which allows the files to be
> > > used with some semblance of efficiency.
> >
> > Just a semblance of efficiency, but I would guess that is more the
> > result of someones first program.
>
> Piffle.
>
> Fixed sized records are in all ways easier to use, read, write, and
> buffer than variable-length records, and in this case, ease of use
> translates into code size and efficiency.

Add an index for the variable-length records and a garbage collection
routine and you have all you need. Apply a hash code table and searching
for entries is as fast as possible. A better solution is to use a real
database. The code will be more efficient and more system independant.
At the end it will also cost less than all those programs with their
private data access routines.

> cgd

Henry