Subject: Re: misc/2668: login-names >8 chars make no fun
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1996 19:44:44
On Aug 16,  6:22pm, Chris G Demetriou wrote:
} > Just a semblance of efficiency, but I would guess that is more the
} > result of someones first program.
}
} Piffle.
}
} Fixed sized records are in all ways easier to use, read, write, and
} buffer than variable-length records, and in this case, ease of use
} translates into code size and efficiency.

Especially since records in utmp are randomly accessed/updated.

Given my druthers, though, I'd implement utmp using -ldb (we're not
running on a PDP-11 anymore), and wtmp as an ascii file.  There's
just that pesky backwards compatibility issue.

			---  Truck