Subject: Re: PPP questions (ahem)
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1996 10:48:19
> > This is exactly how we have set up our direct dial-in service.  The
> > dial-in lines use getty as their 'ttys' entry and we use pppd as the
> > 'ttys' entry for the out-going line.
>
> BUt some people (who may want to support Win95 out the box or such)
> will want the PPP protocol to start on connect and use PAP etc for
> authentication. This is the only practical reason I can think of
> to get rid of the normal getty/login authentication.

Yep, this is why these people want to have PPP start immediately.  They
use win95 and want to simplify their login process.  I tried to explain
that using getty is more versatile because then you can log in _without_
PPP as well - but no, they only want PPP.

Thanks to everyone who responded - my mailbox is flooding. :-)  The NetBSD
users are really helpful.

I will try the authentication system soon.  I already enabled the
lcp-echo-failure and hope it to restart pppd whenever the line hangs.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---