Subject: PPP questions (ahem)
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/1996 14:47:30
I have two questions about PPP for those who know better:

I want to replace getty with pppd.  What options do I have to specify to
get login/passwd authentication (I don't want any fancy stuff, just that
the client has to supply the same login name and password as in /etc/passwd).
Does this work with win95 clients?  Is it the 'login' option that I want to
use?  Does it need any secrets files?

Is there an option which would make pppd monitor the connection and drop
and restart it if it broken?  Sometimes my PPP link just hangs - the modems
are still off-hook and everything looks ok, but no data is sent to the modem.
Disconnecting the modem's phone cable drops the connection and makes pppd
restart it - but I would like this to happen automatically.  Does the
'lcp-echo-failure' option do what I want?

Thanks in advance,

  -jm (the PPP (l)user)

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---