Subject: Re: fsck issue
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 15:48:12
Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de> writes:

>  Just a question which is bothering me for a while already.
> I want to perform a fsck on my hard drives w/o beeing forced to
> umount the partitions.
>
>  Is it possible to temporarily lock the drives and then start fsck
> beeing able to write fixes?

If you're running with securelevel > 0, you won't be able to write to
a mounted partition.  If not, you could `mount -u -r' it to downgrade
the mount to read-only while you run fsck(8), and then do a `mount -u
-o reload' when you're done.  (I'm not actually sure whether the `-o
reload' is necessary there, but it wouldn't hurt.)