Subject: Re: log files and rotation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 15:46:52
Chris G Demetriou (Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu) wrote:
: Newsyslog actually gets part of the way there, but it has the annoying
: property that the rotation times can wander around the clock.  For
: instance, let's say that the machine is down for 1 hour every day,
: starting right before the log should be rotated.  it'll be rotated
: not too long after the machine comes back up... but the time that the
: log will be rotated ends up moving back one or two hours per day...
: "evil!"

I wrote a newsyslog-lookalike in Perl which:

* named files based on the date they were rotated (messages.960805.gz)

* Could send arbitrary signals to arbitrary programs

* for any rotation which was divisible by 24 hours, it would rotate an
  hour early or late to move the rotation time towards some goal (I
  like 4am).

It would be nice of these features could be added to newsyslog.  No, I
don't have time to do it :-(

	-Kevin