Subject: Re: 128Mbyte memory Pentium Pro problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1996 10:02:29
>> The reason that's not been increased in the the source tree is
>> because it leads to pages being wasted in unused pmap overhead if
>> you don't requre the additional address space, [...]

> If somebody's trying to install NetBSD at a new site, i.e. they have
> no other machine running on which to compile a kernel, saying
> "compile a kernel" won't help.  saying "pull out some memory, compile
> a kernel, then put them memory back" would help, but won't win many
> friends.

Seems to me the right thing in this case is "okay, you've got 128 megs,
but you can't use more than NN of them until you build a new kernel".
So you have to build a kernel in a machine with effectively just NN
megs, that's still okay...not as nice as the kernel automatically
handling any amount of memory, certainly, but acceptable.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D