Subject: Networking (??) problems
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1996 16:05:09
Dear All,

I have been seeing weird problems on NetBSD systems during the last.. um..
6 months or so.  Mostly, the problem shows up with failing mail transmission.
The messages sit in the queue and are finally returned to the sender with an
error message.  'mailq' reports problems like "reply: read error" and
"timeout while waiting for input".

The weird thing is that this seems to happen _every time_ someone sends
e-mail to a certain place.  I first thought the receiving systems were
failing, but if I send the same message from a stunos machine, it gets
through just fine.  If I use a stunos machine as a gateway, everything
works well, too.

Once I used telnet to connect to a remote machine and "sent" some mail
manually and it worked.  At the same time, sendmail was failing.

One user whined today that he couldn't get files from our system using
ftp.  His machine (a linux box) says "connection reset by peer" and
"remote host has closed connection".  I can't see any problems at my end
(ftpd works just fine for me).  I just thought this and the mail problem
could be related.

Has anyone seen any problems like these?

I'm running 960413 kernels now, but the problem was there even before.
I think I'll try upgrading one system and see if it helps with the mail
problems.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---