Subject: Re: log files and rotation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1996 11:08:17
>> For that matter, why is newsyslog a program?
> Well, I just love it, when compared to the silly script used on
> stunos.

Well, compared to what Sun distributes, I do too.

> I like the way newsyslog works.  If it knew how to send signals to
> daemons to let them go of their logfiles, it would be perfect.

Well, newsyslog is better than Sun's script.  But I prefer my script.

Why?

(a) My script doesn't have the window of nonexistence that started this
    whole discussion.

(b) My script keeps logfiles off in subdirectories, rather than
    cluttering the main directory with them.  (For example,
    /var/adm/messages is rotated into /var/adm/OLD/messages/00, then
    /var/adm/OLD/messages/01.gz, /var/adm/OLD/messages/02.gz,
    etc...assuming between 10 and 99 versions are saved, at least - I
    usually save 60 versions, which would be real clutter in /var/adm
    if done with the NetBSD newsyslog naming scheme.

(c) My script is a script and therefore a hell of a lot easier to
    customize than an executable.

On the downside, my script doesn't have the kinda-cool config file that
lets you rotate files on bases other than once-a-month or similar.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D