Subject: Re: log files and rotation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1996 06:41:37
> You'd think the window in which newsyslog had deleted a logfile but
> not created a new one would be small... today I got
> "syslogd: /var/log/maillog: No such file or directory".
> Hmm.

For that matter, why is newsyslog a program?  I turn over my logs with
a simple little script, and even that is careful to do better than the
newsyslog program NetBSD uses; with it, there is _no_ window during
which the logfile is nonexistent.  (It also keeps the old logfiles
better segregated from the rest of the world, off in a directory of
their own instead of cluttering up /usr/adm or wherever.  This is
important to me, since I typically keep 60 previous versions.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D