Subject: Re: Strange PPP behaviour during file uploads.
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1996 18:52:23
According to Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com:

>I too have a Livingston Portmaster on the remote (Internet) end of my
>link, though it is an older model.

Once a very long time ago I did have a similar problem running slip into our
annex terminal server at work.  In one direction
ftp/telnet/news/whatever would be brilliant, nearly driving the serial
port flat out.  Going the other way sucked rocks big time, timeouts,
very slow all sorts of problems.  My problem turned out to be flow
control, after I went over the configurations of the modems at BOTH
ends, my local machine config AND the annex setup to make _damn_ sure
that they all a) had flow control enabled and b) agreed about what
sort they were using (so called "hardware" handshaking is recommended)
I suddenly had the same performance in both directions.

I suggest you grab the setups of the modems and the portmaster and
very very carefully go over them to make sure they are correct.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.