Subject: $NetBSD$ Version Control Keyword
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1996 20:25:58
Could someone please explain to this novice at version control why
we use the keword $NetBSD$ instead of $Id$ in the NetBSD source
files, how this is done with CVS, and what the ramifications are
for users who want to use version control on NetBSD at home?

I've got a personal patch or two patches to the NetBSD kernel and
userland, and I'm getting a bit sick of sup wiping them out every
night. I'd like to be able to hang on to them somehow. I'm thinking
that putting the NetBSD revisions in the vendor branch of a CVS
repository and then ocasionally doing an import from my sup copy
might help here (though it still seems to mean that I've got to
keep an entire separate copy of the source--*sigh*). Am I even
heading in the right direction here?

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.