Subject: probing problems with NEC CD-ROM drive
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1996 04:05:54
Well, I commented out a few lines in sys/scsi/scsiconf.c that caused
it to check for parity errors (ugly quick hack), and turned SCSI
debugging all the way on for target 6 (in my case) and got the
following probe messages.  Any suggestions on how (or even if) I
can turn off parity checking for my CDROM, and then get it to
configure?  Should I be sending this to tech-kern (or somewhere
else) instead?  I haven't done a major amount of digging yet, but
thought I'd ask for pointers and suggestions first.  (As before,
I'm interested in port-pc532 and port-sparc at the moment and
perhaps port-mac68k in the future. I've about completely given up
on the idea of using it to install a Solaris 2.5.1 CD on my ELC.)

I tried http://www.nec.com and found the 800-NEC-INFO number for
tech support, called that, and after wading through their system
I got the message that the NEC CD-ROM drive model 210 (and a BUNCH
of others) were OEM products and NEC was contractually not allowed
to give tech support (or drivers) for them.  Someone suggested
http://www.necinfo.com, but while that machine accepts FTP connections,
it has yet to accept an http connection from me.  I was hoping to
find out that one of the 7 or 8 jumpers in the back of the drive
would turn on parity, but alas, it appears that I may have to scrap
the drive, or treat it as MacOS only.  Perhaps I can get somewhere
with MacWarehouse, as I bought it there a couple of years ago when
they were selling cheap (relatively) 2x CD-ROM drives under the
PowerUser brand name.

At this point, I would have to say avoid NEC or anything that MIGHT
be NEC equipment if you want to actually use it.  I hope to resolve
this differently (and better) but it's not looking so good at the
moment.  Any suggestions are welcome, and greatly appreciated,

Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>

---------- pc532 probe info ----------- cut  here ----------

probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_cmd
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_get_xs
probe(ncr0:6:0): returning
ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_done
probe(ncr0:6:0): command: 0,0,0,0,0,0-[0 bytes]
probe(ncr0:6:0): back in cmd()
probe(ncr0:6:0): sc_err1,err = 0x2
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_free_xs
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_cmd
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_get_xs
probe(ncr0:6:0): returning
ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_done
probe(ncr0:6:0): command: 12,0,0,0,2c,0-[44 bytes]
000: 05 80 01 00 1f 00 00 00 4e 45 43 20 20 20 20 20
016: 43 44 2d 52 4f 4d 20 44 52 49 56 45 3a 32 31 30
032: 31 2e 30 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
probe(ncr0:6:0): back in cmd()
probe(ncr0:6:0): sc_err1,err = 0x2
probe(ncr0:6:0): scsi_free_xs