Subject: Hmm. Yamaha refuse to supply CDR100 specs
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1996 13:52:46
Here is an interesting one, as a data point for those who intend to
use NetBSD (or one of the other BSD OSes) for cutting CD-ROMs etc.

We purchsed a Yamaha CDR100 for the sole purpose of beginning the process
of writing a driver for NetBSD (and hence the other BSDs), with the specific
statement to the suuplier of getting the SCSI docs for it.

After talking to Yamaha, it turns out that they think their product is so
wonderful that they need an NDA signed for what should be an addendum to
publicly available SCSI docs. sigh. No chance, especially since we want to
publish the driver code.

cc'ed to the mail address on Yamaha's web page - for their reference.

Produt is on the way back to the supplier and I'm off to talk to
Hitachi and Kodak.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org