Subject: problems with yp
To: current-users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1996 11:14:23
Hello,

I have a problem with NIS, wich appared with -current some times ago, I think.

When my yp client (NetBSD) looses his yp server (a sun, or anoter NetBSD
running an old version of FreeBSD's ypserver) for some reason, it start
sending a lot of broadcast messages (several in a second) which make
portmap and ypserv eating all the CPU on the server, in such a way that
they don't respond to others yp queries. The NetBSD client also don't
recover from this kind of failure, the only thing to do is to restart
ypbind on the client.

Did anyone else notice this ? Does anyone where to look at to solve the
problem ?

It seems that the broadcast messages don't come from ypbind, but perhaps from
one of the yp functions of the libc.

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIX, Ecole Polytechnique
email: bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr