To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1996 09:02:23
On Tue, 02 Jul 1996 21:25:08 -0700
 "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:

 > Maybe the NetBSD folks are using a really small, busy machine, that
 > has lots of other things to do, and the FreeBSD guys are using a big,
 > less busy machine, that mostly does majordomo.

The FreeBSD guys also have _several_ machines; I can recall more than
once reading an e-mail on the FreeBSD lists asking for more people to set
up mail relays for FreeBSD.ORG... The spread them out, and I guess they
must distribute the load according to geographic locality (somewhat
meaningless in the network world, but whatever... :-)

To my knowledge, the NetBSD Project hasn't considered doing this before
(Charles: correct me if I'm wrong, please... I don't know Core history
prior to December, 1995) ... We're in the process of restructuring the
NetBSD.ORG network services infrastructure, so perhaps we can consider
this approach in our design... I'm going to try and set up a meeting with
JT this week, and I'll mention this to him...

I think it's a doable thing (obviously, the FreeBSD guys have already
done it)... However, there is a greater factor of risk to this approach,
IMO (which should be obvious :-).

 > Both are running majordomo, so I don't think that's a factor.

Yes, but majordomo isn't really much of a player in the _delivery_ of
mail... majordomo simply munges the request and hands it off to sendmail
(or whatever MTA you're using...) In the case of the FreeBSD server(s), I
_believe_ they're running a batch mailer other than sendmail, though I
don't know that for sure.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --