Subject: Re: passwd bug ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1996 13:41:47
> I recent change the password of a user with the length of the
> password > 8 chars (eg. abcdefgh!!).  When I login using the changed
> password user id, I could login with the password (e.g. abcdefgh).
> Is this a bug of the passwd.

Maybe.  This - truncating the password to 8 chars - is "traditional
UNIX" behavior.  By default, NetBSD's passwd uses a different hashing
algorithm, one that among other things makes all characters in the
password significant.

However, if you're using YP, by default it uses the traditional,
compatible-with-the-rest-of-the-world algorithm.  Was this a YP
password change by any chance?

If it was a local change and you didn't explicitly tell passwd to be
compatible with traditional hashing, it probably is a bug.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D