Subject: Re: Swapping problems (was: Re: 1.2 features, again)
To: None <laine@morningstar.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/1996 21:07:57
>>> Is the VM leak fixed in 1.2?  This one's really starting to annoy me.

[...]

>What we found was that, as soon as memory usage on any machine hit 64MB
>(the amount of RAM we had installed in each), that machine would lock up
[...]
>Having swap that kicked in gracefully, rather than with a brick-smash on
>the forehead, would be *really* nice (and would make NetBSD appear to be
[...]

If you're really fighting with VM problems on PCs, you might consider
one other alternative.  I'm not in the habit of sending people way
from NetBSD, but in this case, you might try giving FreeBSD a shot.

A few people there have been putting an extraordinary amount of work
in on their VM system, and their merged VM buffer cache stuff is
supposed to be a big win.  Just don't install FreeBSD-current right
away, because they're going through some somewhat unstable teething
problems with some more enhancements that John Dyson and Bruce Evans
just got done incorporating.

Look at it this way: it's better than Linux or Solaris. :-)  I don't
think the VM stuff in NetBSD is going to get fixed in the very near
future.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.