Subject: Re: config problem
To: NetBSD <netbsd@gate.ene.UnB.br>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1996 20:41:08
>I have just installed NetBSD-curretn i386 on a machine which has two scsi
>controllers. The first is a Buslogic 445C VL-bus with two barracuda
>drives. The second is an ADAPTEC-1542CF ISA card.

>Now that NetBSD has bounce-buffers everything should be fine but it

Since when?  Did you apply an unsupported patch?  I haven't seen
anything announcing bus-master bounce buffers in the official NetBSD
distribution.

>inverts the autoconfig order of the devices so I end up having to wire
>things on their right places.

Inverts the order according to who?  What addresses are the cards at?
I think the only way to guarantee their order *is* to hardwire their
order.  Aside from that, I don't know of any guarantees about which
order they'll probe in.  In fact, I believe the order will potentially
change from version to version, as the autoconfig code changes.

Am I wrong in these assumptions?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.