Subject: Re: sort manpage is obscure on this point
To: None <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1996 17:22:01
> Might I suggest that perhaps it would be within the interests of the
> NetBSD goal of reducing the amount of GNU code in NetBSD by eliminating
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/sort and replacing it with a /usr/src/usr.bin/sort
> derived from the 4.4BSD-Lite version in /cdrom/4_4bsd_l/usr/src/contrib/sort/.
>
>  * Copyright (c) 1993
>  *      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
>  * Peter McIlroy.
>
> It isn't quite POSIX.2 compliant yet, and does have some limits GNU sort
> doesn't have, but all these things can be fixed, whereas the GPL cannot
> be removed from GNU sort.  It *is* a significant improvement over the
> old 4.3BSD sort, if the manual page diffs are any indication.

I think this is a good goal.  Anyone want to volunteer to determine
the POSIXness and the limitation of the lite2 sort?  Once that's
known, we can see what engineering resources can be put on it.

Another useful project would be to implement  cpio command line parsing
in pax, so we can get rid of GNU cpio and GNU tar.

> When is NetBSD going to sync up with 4.4BSD-Lite2 anyway?  Is anyone
> actively working on it?

It's a slow process because oftentimes both we and the CSRG have made
significant changes to piece of code, and merging is painful.  That
being said, we do manage to bring in new hunks of lite2 sources
between each release.

	--jtc