Subject: Re: sort manpage is obscure on this point
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1996 11:30:39
[ On Tue, June 25, 1996 at 21:40:48 (-0500), Jim Meyering wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sort manpage is obscure on this point
>
> From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 00:31:24 -0500
>
> | NetBSD uses the GNU sort from the textutils.

Might I suggest that perhaps it would be within the interests of the
NetBSD goal of reducing the amount of GNU code in NetBSD by eliminating
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/sort and replacing it with a /usr/src/usr.bin/sort
derived from the 4.4BSD-Lite version in /cdrom/4_4bsd_l/usr/src/contrib/sort/.

 * Copyright (c) 1993
 *      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
 * Peter McIlroy.

It isn't quite POSIX.2 compliant yet, and does have some limits GNU sort
doesn't have, but all these things can be fixed, whereas the GPL cannot
be removed from GNU sort.  It *is* a significant improvement over the
old 4.3BSD sort, if the manual page diffs are any indication.

When is NetBSD going to sync up with 4.4BSD-Lite2 anyway?  Is anyone
actively working on it?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>