Subject: Re: Keith Bostic: MS Press Release - Common Internet File System (CIFS) (fwd)
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1996 20:11:16
>>Linux 2.0 has SMBFS.

>How does it work?  Does it require every user to mount the filesystem
>to their own mount point to register their credentials?

I have never used Linux SMBFS.  I have used Windows remote filesystem
services.  You only need to authenticate if you're going to access
secure shares.  If you're just accessing a public site, maybe a shared
ftp site, you can access it as "Everyone" -- kind of the MS equivelent
of the Unix "nobody".  So, share a dir out to "Everyone" with
read-only access.

With that in place, you don't have to make a connection to access a
share -- that's the nice thing about it.  You can scan the share
without making a permanent connection:

	dir \\somemachine\someshare\somedir\somefile
	copy \\othermachine\othershare\otherfile \\mine\private\incoming\

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.