Subject: Re: tty0?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Peakall <alan@parsys.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1996 15:36:17
> On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, NetBSD wrote:

>> I can't seem to make my serial ports work. If I do an 'stty -f /dev/tty00
>> clocal' and then a 'stty -f /dev/tty00' the clocal flag is not set.

> That's because the CLOCAL flag is reset when the port is closed.

>> Tip doesn't work either. Ttyflags, on the other hand does work.
>> I'm running the i386 port.

> Add the 'local' flag to /etc/ttys on the appropriate line and run
> ttyflags.

I recall from 2nd quarter 1991 a Motorola System-V/68K system that
included a utility `porthold(8)' (or some other name found through
`man -k port | grep hold') for the very purpose of making tty settings
sticky.  It read a file (whose default name I can't recall) of device
names and initial settings and then slept holding them open.  It may
even have reread the file on SIGHUP.  Perhaps someone would be interested
in tracing the manual page and reverse engineering it :-)

Alan Peakall, applications engineer                           Parsys Ltd
Email: alan@parsys.co.uk                   London W7 2QE, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 181 5798683                                Fax: +44 181 5798365