Subject: Re: pstat -t
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1996 12:36:11
   > From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
   > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 00:34:27 +1000
   >
   >    should pstat -t track the console?
   >
   > as the console is a MD allocated thing, it is up to the relevant
   > console initialisation code to do the tty_attach() call.

   It seems to me that only "real" tty devices should be included.
   In the normal(?) case the console is merely a redirector to some
   other tty line, and is opened for input only in single-user mode.
   In that situation, ttystats for the console would always appear
   to be identical to whatever device the console points to, making
   it mostly useless.

ok.

the sparc currently has a 'struct tty' for the console.  while
probing the zs devices, it calls ttymalloc() if the tty is not
the console (ie, it doens't already have a struct tty).  thus,
if the console is on ttya, there really is no ttya at this point
of time -- it's the console.

if there is a port that does not allocated a tty specifically
for the console (no matter -what- it is attached to), then i
can see it not tracking it in pstat -t.

.mrg.