Subject: Re: flock() fails with procmail
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1996 13:20:33
> I thought I'd sent out a note about this before, but I didn't see
> it come by, so perhaps it didn't make it out the first time.
>
> Procmail can't seem to use flock. (I'm using 3.11pre4, but this is
> true of 3.10 as well.) It's never able to get a lock on the file.
> This is bad, because flock() is the sole locking method of
> /usr/libexec/mail.local, unless the -l flag is specified.
>
> I'm having a great deal of trouble decoding the code in procmail,
> but I can't see anything terribly unusual about its locking so
> far.
>
> Has anyone else run into this? Is this a problem with NetBSD or
> with procmail?

Procmail will use flock if you tell it not to use fcntl. Default choice
is OK because fcntl manpage says:

 Note that flock(2) and fcntl(2) locks may be safely used concurrently.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,