Subject: Install NetBSD over the top of Linux
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carsten Hammer <chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1996 10:09:34
Hi,
Does it make it anything easier to have a installed Linux
when installing NetBSD? I have a Linux box connected to
the internet and want to install NetBSD on it (deleting Linux).
It is a 486 with a 200MB HD. Just replacing the /vmlinuz with
/netbsd does not work for (at least) two reasons as i understand:

1. Major and minor device numbers dont conform to any standard.
   (is there any?)
2. NetBSD does not understand ext2fs of Linux

Is this correct?
I asked this question years ago here once:
Would it be a good thing to have everywere (at least on NetBSD)
the same major and minor ids?

And to try to get help directly for my problem:
Is there any filesystem that NetBSD and Linux know both and
that would help to do my migration to NetBSD?
Is there a way to boot my box on a NFS mounted NetBSD-rootfs and
to install then via NFS?(security considerations are no
big problem for me, at least as long only this machine is affected)

ciao
Carsten