Subject: Problems compiling current sources
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1996 22:53:53
    I've been trying to update my system to the current binaries for the
past few days.  For the most part, everything has worked fine.  It took
a few "make -i build"'s to get everything to compile without errors, but
it eventually happened.  SO, I've managed to get the entire binary tree
to compile.  However, I'm having problems with the kernel itself.

    Basically, it's a minor problem, but it was an annoying one.  If I
try to compile a kernel with "options GENERIC", I get an error about an
"undefined symbol _setconf referenced in text segment" during the final
kernel linking.  Removing the GENERIC option fixes this problem.  I
really am not sure what GENERIC does, but it seems like I can live
without it (but I don't seem to have much of a choice).

    Also, somewhere along the line, the "_spllower" symbol seems to have
disappeared from the kernel.  I've noticed this because NetBSD-AFS seems
to require it.  Even with the most recent libafs I can find for 1.1
ALPHA, when I try to modload it I get an error "undefined symbol
_spllower referenced in text segment".  I downloaded the 1.1 sources to
try to find where spllower is (to toss it back into my 1.1A sources),
but I can't seem to find the actual spllower function anywhere in the
code in my /usr/src/sys tree.

    Any suggestions?  BTW, I'm running on a tree I supped (allsrc) a few
hours ago.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@WarpDrive.COM> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.COM
http://www.warpdrive.com/~woferry/      | talk:  finger for online status