Subject: Re: BAD BLOCKS WITH SCSI DISKS, HOW TO REMAP
To: None <hdalog@zipnet.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1996 15:57:19
[ On Thu, June 13, 1996 at 06:52:11 (-0400), Peter Dufault wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BAD BLOCKS WITH SCSI DISKS, HOW TO REMAP
>
> If I were to do any more work on user mode scsi the next piece
> would still not be that library interface but instead a command
> lookup data base to support:
>
> "scsi sd0 format" or
> "scsi sd0 realloc 0x3244"
>
> as this would lessen the need for special little programs.

Indeed!

Ever since reading about scsish(8) in the Reserch Tenth Edition manual,
I've wanted a similar command, and had/have hopes someone would find
more time than I have to re-implement it for *BSD.

Scsish(8) is an interface to V10's scsi(4), and it simply provides a
number of generic SCSI commands in a shell like environment, as well as
some peculiar to the special devices they had atached to the vax, such
as the SONY optical disk jukebox.

Eg:

	help	- print help
	id n	- set the destination SCSI bus device number to 'n'
	reset	- attempt to reset the SCSI interface
	start n	- start drive 'n' spinning
	stop n	- stop drive 'n'
	test n	- test unit ready for drive 'n'
	sense n	- print the sense data for drive 'n'
	ext sense n	- print the extended sense data for drive 'n'
	capacity n	- get the capacity of drive 'n'
	disk eject n	- eject the medium from drive 'n'
	inquiry [n]	- print status about drive 'n', or all LUNs
	read n b	- read & print block 'b' from drive 'n'

With the SCSI-2 spec in hand I'm sure a good compliment of functions
could be implemented.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>