Subject: SCSI DAT tape drive and block sizes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bourne-again Superuser <toor@sik.cyberneering.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1996 17:30:14
I have a SONY SDT-7000 DAT drive that I am trying to get to work
with a pc532 running NetBSD-current (as of May 26).  I am able
to read certain tapes (written under AIX) but unable to
write and unable to read certain other tapes.  The ones that
fail usually read or write a few files before producing the
error

ncr0: can not transfer more data
ncr0: aborting, but phase=DATA_OUT (reset)
ncr0: reset SCSI bus for TID=6 LUN=0
tar: can't write to /dev/rst0Message Catalog System: corrupt file.

(or DATA_IN on reads)

Other times on reads, I get the error

st0: block wrong size, 10 blocks residual

(the number varies)

I suspect that at least some of these errors are related to
blocking and blocksizes on the tapes.

Can anyone enlighten me (or point me to the right documentation)?

Sverre