Subject: Re: Speaking of PPP problems...
To: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1996 22:12:30
> I have my NetBSD system hooked up to the net with a 24x7 PPP link.
> Once in a while, the PPP line appears to go dead, though the modem
> stays connected.  More precisely, if I attempt an outgoing ping, I
> see the transmit light flash but get no response; an incoming ping
> from another location results in no activity at all.  I recently
> turned on LCP ECHO packets, and these get responses, but IP traffic
> is entirely dead.  Hanging up the modem and redialing restores the
> connection.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

I am connected to my other NetBSD machines via a PPP link (V.34 modems).
The only times that the PPP link dies is when the modems (for some reason)
lose the connection (which causes pppd to redial).  I have never had PPP
go dead the way you describe.

I have NetBSD machines at both ends of the link (i386 / Amiga 3000) and
everything works just fine (except for the FIFO overruns on the i386).
I'm running 960413 kernels on all systems.

  -jm