Subject: Re: tcp_do_rfc1323 vs Linux - any solid understanding?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1996 02:36:00
> >I was aware that in some cases RFC1323 destroyed the optimality
> >of VJ compression; I was not aware that it caused Netblazers to
> >_eat_ packets. Is this demonstable and reproducible? Do we have
> >packet traces of what happens? Has someone yelled at Telebit?
>
> Actually, it more along the lines of: "chews them up, and spits out the
> mangled carcass" :-).  You got a packet, but it was pretty mangled.

Rapturous.

> In answer to your questions: Yes, yes, and yes.

Alright, is the particular failure mode useful/interesting/detectable?
Presumably packets arrive at the remote end and fail CRC checks [let's
see a packet trace]?

Perhaps a solution is to have pppd attempt to detect this particular
sort of failure at startup time and proactively disable rfc1323, or at
least loudly suggest the user do so?

--jhawk