Subject: xload freakout
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1996 09:24:12
I'm running stock XFree86-3.1.2 binaries as built by the XFree86
people.  With current, after my machine has been up a few days,
occasionally xload will just freak out, writing this string to my
.xsession-errors file as fast as it can:

	Warning: Select failed; error code 22

If it starts in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping, the file
will usually be 500-700MB when I get up (I always leave myself logged
in -- it's MY computer! :-)  If I let it go, it would fill up my
entire /usr partition free space (roughly 1GB).  It's particularly
annoying because I have to kill all of X, and remove the file, to get
my file space back.  I particularly dislike this because I like to
leave lots of unfinished work open all over my virtual desktop so I
can pick up where I left off at a later time.

This has been happening for a couple months, on and off.  It was
really bad for a brief spot several weeks ago, but kinda went away
after I re-supped.  During the really bad spot, even an xterm (don't
know if it was the xterm or tcsh) left open for several days might
catch this same problem -- come back in the morning, or after work in
the evening, and it's scrolling that message non-stop.  Like I said,
it got better for awhile, but hasn't disappeared completely, and seems
to be happening a little more often, again.

Any idea what could have changed to make this happen?  These are the
same X binaries I've been using for many months.  And, I don't
remember this happening any time soon after I originally installed
this version of X.  Although I rebuild all my NetBSD-provided
userland, including libraries, after a sup, I haven't built any of the
X stuff on my own machine.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.