Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1996 14:07:53
On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com wrote:

> Well, since everyone else is running around praising Fujitsu and damning
> Quantum, let me pu in my $0.02.  I have a Quantum 40S that came with my
> computer that I have had for over 6 years with no problems what so ever.
> I bought a Fujitsu 512MB drive about 4 years ago, a drive that has
> recently been suffering from a sticktion problem.  Every time I power my
> machine up I need to give it a thump so the Fujitsu spins up.

 I have a Quantum Prodrive 80 in a Mac IIsi from '91, a Prodrive 100 in a
peecee from '91 and a Prodrive 80 in a now-dead peecee from '89. I had to
thump the Mac's drive once to get it going, but even though I turn it off
daily, it hasn't broken more than that. None of the other drives have
ever failed. But the older Prodrives might have different reliability
characteristics from the newer, larger drives ie. Fireball. I also have
had a Fujitsu 1gb drive for somewhat more than a year on the Mac, no
problems with that either so far. My most-suffering drive is probably the
Epson magneto-optical from '92 which has been having some problems (-;

--
'Good-bye and hello, as always'