Subject: Re: More PPP questions
To: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
From: Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1996 14:30:54
is@Beverly.Rhein.DE writes:
 > John F. Woods (jfw@funhouse.com) wrote:
 > : > I've upgraded(?) from NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD-1.2 alpha, running on an
 > : > Amiga A3000 with 12 MB fast RAM, A2024 monitor, using the built-in
 > : > serial port and a USR sportster 33K modem.  When I switched from
 > : > NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD1.2, my PPP performance was seriously degraded.
 > : > I'm now losing packets (ping shows 5%-25% losses), rlogin sessions
 > : > lock up for minutes at a time, I get VJERRS every couple of seconds
 > : > and silo overflows every couple minutes.
 >
 > "silo overflow" or "ring buffer overflows"?

It was silo overflows. I'm now running on a kernel that has all of the
options I added except ppp_deflate, and it's working fine.  I suspect
the problem may be that I only did a make depend and didn't do a make
clean in my kernel compile directory when I added the options.  I
think some modules that should have been recompiled with -DPPP_DEFLATE
didn't, and I haven't taken the time to do one last kernel rebuild.