Subject: Re: BAD BLOCKS WITH SCSI DISKS, HOW TO REMAP
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1996 06:32:46
Jason Thorpe scribbled:

>I really don't understand why folks thing formatting a disk is so
>difficult...all you need to so is send the unit a FORMAT UNIT command
>after setting the appropriate parameters with MODE SELECT.  A program
>about as long as the sdremap program I just posted would be able to do it :-)

Ha.  :)

>Of course, the harder part is having a nice, well-integrated utility to
>do all of that for you.  That's why something like a libscsi would be
>nice; you can implement all the meat, and then layer a nice interface to
>the user on top of it.

It would be nice to be able to (sorry for the PC-centric post)

	# format fd0a		(format 1.44M floppy disk)
	# format sd0		(low-level format a SCSI disk)

with one unified command.

Also, it would be nice for
	eject
not to need a -t parameter.  Do we need an IOCTL to return the flavor
of a device?  Sure would be nice for some other things, too.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!