Subject: Re: More PPP questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1996 10:02:23
John F. Woods (jfw@funhouse.com) wrote:
: > I've upgraded(?) from NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD-1.2 alpha, running on an
: > Amiga A3000 with 12 MB fast RAM, A2024 monitor, using the built-in
: > serial port and a USR sportster 33K modem.  When I switched from
: > NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD1.2, my PPP performance was seriously degraded.
: > I'm now losing packets (ping shows 5%-25% losses), rlogin sessions
: > lock up for minutes at a time, I get VJERRS every couple of seconds
: > and silo overflows every couple minutes.

"silo overflow" or "ring buffer overflows"?

The latter shouldn't appear anymore with a newer than a couple of weeks
kernel... a path to it was open due to a missing splser()/splx() pair,
which has been fixed.

The former, however, is virtually guaranteed to appear if you use fast
serial input (say, above 9600 or 19200 baud) and have _any_ interupt
level 6 processing, including the hardware clock.

options LEV6_DEFER

should help. Is it in your netbsd-1.2alpha kernel?

[I wonder whether this should be made default for the GENERIC
NetBSD-Amiga kernel.]

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis